What do I need to carry while mountain biking in Moab?
Biking Moab, you’ll be equipped with a fat tire mountain bike, bike helmet, water bottle and an extra inner tube. Your Moab tour guide can help with repairs if they come up in our desert terrain. Solfun’s Moab bike guides carry a first aid kit and extra tools. We’ll have snacks available for half-day mountain bike tours and lunch for full day tours when we’ll eat on the bike trails.
Things to bring on your Moab, Utah mountain bike tour:
- A day pack roomy enough to carry your gear and extra water.
- 50oz. of water for a half-day Moab biking excursion or 100 oz. for a full day bike tour. In high summer you should increase that amount by 50%. For mountain bike tours the ideal arrangement is 100 oz. Camelbak-type bladders, but water bottles holding these amounts will fit into your pack. Water is critical while biking Moab because of the heat and dryness. We have day packs for rent if you don’t have our own.
- Sunscreen to apply often during your mountain bike tour.
- A polypropylene vest/jacket and rain jacket. It can rain any day on Moab’s bike trails, even if it is desert country. It pays to be prepared to ensure a comfortable experience. Dress warmer in early spring (March) or late fall (late October & November). The Utah canyonlands can be chilly.
- Bike gloves, pants, shoes and shirt, if you have them. If you don’t have bike clothes, wear shorts, shirt and athletic shoes. If you have your own mountain bike pedals and bike shoes, bring them and we’ll install the pedals for you.
- Long pants and an extra jacket or shirt if you’ve scheduled your Moab vacation in the early spring or late fall – or if the day’s Utah forecast is for chilly weather.
- A camera – to capture the drama and beauty you won’t find anywhere but on a Moab mountain biking tour and to record your vacation experience.